Thursday, July 5, 2012

Multimedia class Web Conference Reflections

I have participated in at least four web conferences for this course, June 4, June 16, June 18, and June 30.  I have enjoyed the opportunity to see the other students in my classes. I am always please to see the students in my peer group, digital immigrants.  I benefit emotionally and educationally as we share our frustrations, successes and  how we have overcome the challenges. I receive validation when I hear that others are having some technical issues with the Web 2.0 tools we are using.

In my earlier reflection on web conferences, I remarked that some students are not paying attention in the conference.  I would like to repeat that today.  Fellow students, what makes the conferences productive is everyone using the active listening skills that we insist from our own students.

I have experienced, while conducting professional development, that teachers are the worst students.  And we are the worst role models when it comes to paying attention and participating.  There seems to be a shared mentality,  "Do as I say, not as I do".  I would suggest, that we work to change that in future classes and web conferences.  Technical problems aside, it is very disrespectful to waste the professor's time, as well as the other students, when they have to repeat themself or answer the same question multiple times.

I have concerns and we have not really addressed them in our conversations.  In my personal experiences, when downloading "free" or shareware, there are add-ons, tool bars, and unwanted programs attached to the download.  Another sneaky tactics used by some download sights, the "download" button is disguised or confusing and you can end up downloading programs that you did want or need. I have noticed a marked slowdown in my computer boot up and processing speed.  I need to take some time and go through my program files and delete some of the added programs. In our haste to complete assignments, I would just caution students (as they take these tools to the classroom) to be extremely careful with "free" downloads and remember the advice, "there are no free lunches".

Overall, the conferences are helpful, insightful and meaningful.  As technology improves and our behavior improves, web conferences will continue to make the online course taking experience a very valuable part of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment