Sunday, March 4, 2012

Everything I need to know, I learn from Action Research


     Action research was a term that I was not familiar with when I started this class.  However, it is a practice that I employ in all aspects of my professional and personal life.  I have always asked “Why?” or “What was your thought process?” or “What made you say that?” or “What was their response?”
Quite frankly, it annoys many people, because they did not think to ask, or it was not relevant to their conversation or storytelling or they just didn’t think it was important.  For me, understanding the decision making process or the reasons for a decision makes it easier for me to accept and live with the outcome or see the flaws and become an agent for change.
     I was comforted to learn that not only was my burning 'need to know' validated, but it may actually be useful while I am continuing my education and benefit me professionally.
     As I continue to read the books and articles outlined in the course syllabus, I find myself thinking of the various committees on which I serve and the scope of our work.  In many instances, we are utilizing action research methods during our meetings.  Our superintendent is implementing many changes in policies and procedures.  One change was to develop a Strategic Plan that is printed and published for our community to access on demand.  All of our department work plans, at the district office, are driven by the goals on that Strategic Plan.  Departments are expected to have members serving on all the district initiatives and administrative inquiry and measureable outcomes are paramount to the process.  I now have a better understanding of that process and will be able to justify and utilize my "why?" personality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment